Aparnanairphotography recently gave me a gift. At a time when I was feeling neither inspired nor inspiring, she nominated me for the Inspiring Blog Award. Thank you, Aparna, for the award and the call to action!
As followers of my blog know, I recently lost my mom, and during her illness, my day-to-day life suffered a little benign neglect (well, maybe more than a little.) In fact, if it weren’t for the two weekly challenges I do, I might have stopped blogging altogether over the past two months. I’m so glad I didn’t – it’s been great to come here daily.
Luckily, in my laptop bag I carry a backup hard drive with most of my digital photos. The drive is just meant to protect the images, but while I was staying with my mother, it provided me with the ability to divert myself at night with blog photo challenges, and to complete a post about my mom when she passed away. It was on that post that this well-timed nomination message arrived.
The award is lovely, and it also serves as part of a much-needed wake-up call. It has helped inspire me to get out of limbo – to start getting my household, and my research files for my core blog, back in order. It’s time to get back to the reasons I started the blog in the first place. Since I have to start somewhere, my first item of digital housekeeping (I have plenty of real world items as well), is to formally accept the Inspiring Blog Award. Here are the requirements:
Thank the person who nominated me. Done (see above)
Add the Award image to my blog site. Done (see right column)
Share 7 things about myself you don’t already know. Not sure these things will help you get to know me, but here goes!
- I love the sun, but don’t particularly like (or do well in) the heat
- I’m finally using my smartphone and my Kindle Fire as more than just a telephone and an e-reader (my kids are so proud)
- My current car is the first automatic transmission vehicle I’ve owned in over 30 years (standard transmissions are getting harder to find!)
- I’ve lived in eight states and on both coasts of the US (and may not be finished with this tally)
- I’m a bit of a Target store junkie (my husband has suggested Target Anonymous)
- I love going to the movies, but don’t always like 3-D (I can get dizzy)
- If I could get away with it, I’d never wear shoes – maybe it’s ’60’s thing (the decade, not my age)
Nominate 15 other blogs that I love or that inspire me. This is the fun part – introducing new friends to old ones! As a matter of fact, I came across some of these sites while visiting others. Here, in no particular order, are some inspiring selections, and a little about why I like them – hopefully you’ll like them too!
- http://scottseyephotos.wordpress.com/about/ – Check out his recent series of Alaskan wildlife posts for examples of why I love this blog.
- http://allagingblog.com/about/ – Serious and humorous posts about aging and issues surrounding it. It makes me think and laugh, alternately.
- http://brookemcgillivray.wordpress.com/about/ – This blog touches me because the writer is at a similar place in life to my own, and I love the way she expresses herself.
- http://jeffsinonphotography.wordpress.com/about/ – I love his dedication, and his beautiful New England nature photos – but that’s not his only subject matter…
- http://firstandfabulous.wordpress.com/about/ – A retiree like me, she has a wonderful take on so many things, and I love her conversational style – it’s almost like we’re chatting sometimes.
- http://brokenlightcollective.wordpress.com/about/ – This is an inspiring blog including work of people affected in some way by mental illness.
- http://smilekiddo.wordpress.com/about/ – The blogger is about the same age as my own kids, has a wonderful outlook, and is tackling the things she wants to try in a fun way.
- http://francineinretirement.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/amish-buggy-ride/ – Another retiree, who tackles all kinds of topics, challenges, and places. This may be the only blogging award she doesn’t already have!
- http://cindyacarl.com/about/ – A relatively new blog, by a lady currently living the dream and writing (among other things.)
- http://everywhereonce.com/about/ – And talk about living a dream… this blog is all travel, all the time, including tips on how to do that.
- http://50yearproject.wordpress.com/about/ – A goal-oriented blog, including travel, books, and movies…
- http://wheresmytbackandotherstories.wordpress.com/about/ – This blog is dedicated to those dealing in one way or another with Alzheimer’s Disease and aging, which she handles with grace and even humor – and she posts on a variety of lighter topics, too…
- http://lynneayersbeyondthebrush.wordpress.com/about/ – A lovely creative blog – paintings, photographs, writing exercises – and consistently enjoyable.
- http://insidethemindofisadora.wordpress.com/about/ – An eclectic, creative blog, with thoughtful posts and lovely photos.
- http://holly-goes-light-ly.blogspot.com/p/about-hgl.html – I follow this blog by a young mother of four (including twins) who is also an actual paid writer, partly because it’s funny and inspirational, and partly because I’ve known the blogger for most of her life (no, we’re not related.) I just love hearing her voice through her posts.
Let those Bloggers know that I am sending this award their way and that their blogs touched me. I will do this, with a link to this post, as soon as the post is published.
I hope that some readers will find new favorite blogs here, and that the new nominees will find a few new, faithful followers as a result of this post. For a relatively new blogger (like myself), recognition and exposure to a variety of new blogs is very valuable indeed. If I can pass that along, so much the better. After all, today I’m feeling (just a tad) inspired – and inspiring!