My Dad always quoted the old proverb, “If a thing is worth doing, it’s worth doing well.” So that’s my excuse. I’ve received a few very nice specialized award nominations recently, and have been taking my sweet time to finish this acceptance post with the right nominations.
What makes these awards so interesting is that they focus on certain aspects of blogging. For example, Canoe Communications has shared the Adventurous Blogger Award for travelers. I really appreciate this – I don’t normally think of myself as adventurous, just a curious and avid visitor. Catherine at Mezzaphonically Speaking offered the Super Sweet Blogging Award, which I think has at least something to do with food, so I take this as a reminder that I should share more about our recent diet success and favorite recipes! And Eleenie at Denobears sent along the Reader Appreciation Award. This one could be taken two ways – that readers appreciate the blog content (one always hopes), or that the nominee is a faithful and appreciative reader (I like that idea even better). I have tried to select nominees who qualify both ways for this one.
My heartfelt thanks to the kind bloggers above who included me in their nominations – please take a little time to see what they’ve been up to, and why they themselves were nominated! Here are the requirements for accepting these awards:
1) Thank the blogger who nominated you and share a link to that blog – Done!
2) Attach the award icon to your site – Done!
3) Answer some specific questions. Unlike many awards which just ask for some random things about you, these ask specific questions, related to each award, as follows (with my responses):
a) The Adventurous Blogger Award asks:
- In which country or region would you like your next adventure to be? We’d love to travel to Central/South America, The Alaskan Coast, or somewhere in the Mediterranean. (Clearly we lack focus.)
- Where would you recommend for an adventurous time? Honestly, adventure is where you look for it, but Hawaii has a lot to offer – coral reefs, waterfalls and rainforests, volcanoes, and more. Most of our US National Parks offer wonderful adventures.
- Most interesting culture: This depends on where you start out, I think. I was fascinated with how the Japanese culture evolved in the 20th century, without losing its identity in the world. Many places we’ve been are in a state of change – China, Romania, Greece – all with incredible histories but currently changing dynamics!
- Favorite activity: I love learning the history of new places. Often when we travel, we start with research, and maybe a quick initial tour to help us learn a little – then we choose the spots we really want to spend more time.
- Favorite quotation: This is a tough one… I have several – serious and funny. My humorous favorite right now is “It’s never to late to have a happy childhood!” (This has been attributed to Tom Robbins, Bruce Williamson, Wayne Dyer and others.)
b) The Super Sweet Blogging Award asks:
- Cookie or cake? Cake (no frosting necessary)
- Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate
- What is your favorite sweet treat? My Nana’s Scottish Shortbread
- When do you crave sweet things the most? Bedtime
- If you had a sweet nickname, what would it be? Well, my Aunt called me Jelly Bean when I was little… it rhymes with my middle name!
c) The Reader Appreciation Award asks:
- Your favourite colour? Deep Blue
- Your favourite animal? Love the elegance and independence of cats, and the companionship of dogs
- Your favourite non-alcoholic drink? Tomato Juice
- Facebook or Twitter? Facebook (family connections)
- Your favourite pattern? Maybe the Black Watch Tartan (plaid)
- Do you prefer getting or giving presents? Giving – I love the challenge of finding the right thing.
- Your favourite number? Never thought about it – how about 7…
- Your favourite day of the week? Saturday – all day with my hubby!
- Your favourite flower? Violets and Pansies – they seem to have faces
- What is your passion? My family. They fill my thoughts (and many days), got me started on enjoying photography, inspired me to learn about genealogy, and make life in general worth living!
4) And finally, offer “pay it forward” nominations, advising those bloggers that they’ve been nominated and how to accept. I’ve listed the mandated number of nominees for each award below. This is the best reason to accept blogging awards – to spread the word about other blogs that we enjoy!
Adventurous Blogger Award Nominees (12):
- http://deetoursbydeepali.wordpress.com/about/ Travel, photos, musings
- http://nprimopiano.wordpress.com/about/ photos and more
- http://divine-lunacy.com/about/ photos and other creative stuff
- http://ensummerfield84.wordpress.com/about/ photos of Japan
- http://natureontheedge.com/about/ focus on wildlife/southern Africa
- http://godcolors.wordpress.com/about/ nature, travels, missionary work
- http://cjvl.wordpress.com/about/ fun reflections and photos
- http://lifesjourneyblog.com/about/ philosophical reflections, photos
- http://the-travelbunny.com/about/ travel, photos, and more
- http://lagottocattleya.wordpress.com/about-me/ great photos, love of travel
- http://ronmayhewphotography.com/ wonderful travel, nature, other photos
- http://pommepal.wordpress.com/about/ photos, wanderings, Australia
Super Sweet Blogging Award Nominees (A baker’s dozen – 13!):
- http://crunchyparenting.com/about-me/ parenting, families, food, etc.
- http://gertrygiggles.wordpress.com/about/ travel photos, humorous musings
- http://janetsnotebook.com/about/ variety of post topics, great writing
- http://atasteofmorning.com/about/ homey recipes and country inn photos
- http://bebs1.wordpress.com/about/ recipes, photos and more
- http://fitnwellmommy.wordpress.com/about/ food, fitness, family
- http://eastasiablog.wordpress.com/ all things East Asia, including food links
- http://theeverbuddingbear.wordpress.com/about/ food, gardening, photos
- http://zhongguojumble.wordpress.com/about/ all things Chinese – including food
- http://autumninbruges.wordpress.com/about-me/ travel, photos, and food
- http://campanulladellaanna.wordpress.com/about/ photos, travel, food
- http://rainbowbakery.wordpress.com/about/ photos, travel, food
- http://carriefehr.com/about/ great recipes from fresh seasonal foods
Reader Appreciation Award Nominees (10-12):
- http://max510.com/ travel, photos, videos, whimsy
- http://visitstothepark.wordpress.com/about/ great eye for photo ops
- http://danajoward.wordpress.com/ lovely photos and outlook
- http://pigletinportugal.com/ everything about Portugal!
- http://seraphim6.me/about-me/ eclectic, upbeat blog
- http://mywordwall.wordpress.com/about/ writing, photos, and more
- http://eof737.wordpress.com/about/ photos, writing, positivity
- http://beeblu.wordpress.com/ writing, travel, photos
- http://sued51too.wordpress.com/about/ writing, photos and more
- http://ayearinmyshoes.wordpress.com/about/ photos, travel and writing
I hope, whether or not these folks opt to accept, that you will choose to visit some or all of them, and perhaps find some new favorites of your own!
Enjoy! And thanks for reading all the way to the bottom!