Future Challenge – Could You Live Overseas?

Challenge #24

Have you ever thought of living in another country – or retiring to one?

My beloved would love to move around – getting a flat for six months or so in each of the cities and we’d love to explore – Vienna, Paris, London, maybe somewhere in South or Central America… and then eventually come home.

We’ve even looked into places that have groups of ex-patriot Americans. We know we would probably enjoy these places, at least for a time. But we can’t seem to get our minds around moving away from the U.S. “for good.” I’m not sure if we’re not brave enough, or it just isn’t the right move for us.

Could you leave your “stuff” and move to another country, for financial or other reasons? If so, where do you think you’d want to go? If you’ve already done that, do you think you might ever return to your native country to live?

As part of my retirement theme,  I offer this weekly Thursday “Future Challenge” to get people of all ages thinking in general about their futures and/or retirement. Each challenge goes with a post of my own on the same general topic. Hopefully we’ll start some interesting discussions!

If you’d like to share what you think, or post on it, that’s great – and I’d love it if you’d share those thoughts in a post or comment (please tag posts TRS Future Challenge and link to this post) so others can also see them.

If you choose not to share them, that’s fine too – but with any luck, you’ll still gain some insight on where you’re headed (or would like to be), and how you can get the most out of your own journey.

For my own take on this week’s challenge, see my post, Flag Day – or – How I Grew Up With Old Glory.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Future Challenges, Retirement itself and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Future Challenge – Could You Live Overseas?

1. aj vosse says:

Be brave… you only live once!! 😀

(I’m a South African expat living in Ireland for the last 12 odd years.. Portugal will be my destination of choice for the winter months… that’s when my ship comes home… 😉 )

2. anniedm778 says:

I would love to live in Europe, but so far, at my age, I haven’t been able to find a way to make an income there. But, my daughter is moving to Germany in August and will be an expat. I’ll have to vicariously live through her adventures, I think.

• Both my stepsister and nephew tutored children in English (and in my stepsister’s case, French, I believe) – I hope you’ll at lest get to visit your daughter in Germany! 😉

• anniedm778 says:

I’m 59 years old now, not sure I could find anything, yet, one can hope, lol. Yes, for sure, I will get to visit her, and I’m very much looking forward to it. 🙂

3. ledrakenoir says:

I believe that it may be instructive to live outside our home country’s borders during a period – we see things from a completely different angle and learn a lot about good and less good things – we do not have to be afraid of losing integrity contrary – some come home stronger and wiser other stay away and chooses life abroad… 🙂

4. fgassette says:

At this time in my life I don’t think I would move overseas but I would love to travel there.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

5. I’m not sure I could live in another country when my husband retires, but I have thought about it. I found a Word Press blog from a couple that moved to Nicaragua after retiring. Here’s their web address: http://retirenicaragua.wordpress.com/2013/06/14/weekly-photo-challenge-a-collection-of-curves/
    You might be interested in reading about some of their retirement “adventures” in a foreign country.
    P.S. I did reblog your post on Flag Day…it was easy. There’s a button at the top on Word Press blogs when you are logged-in that says “Reblog.” 🙂

6. mylifeinfocusblog says:

We’re thinking of going back to Italy and staying there this time. My father was born there, so I’d have a lot of rights plus, I have family there. If I could hire someone to sell all my American possessions and then just send me the check, I’d do it! But because I can’t afford to hire anyone plus I am so lazy, I’m still here. Perhaps one day I’ll get the gumption and just get up and go!

7. Amy says:

I wanted to retire in Italy, and that was 15 years ago. When I read the Under the Tuscan Sun, I thought Frances Mayes stole my life… 🙂

8. adinparadise says:

Yes, absolutely. As you probably know from my blog, we decided to buy a place on a golf and country club estate in West Palm, and love living there for six months of the year. We were lucky to get money out of South Africa at quite a good exchange rate. We still have our home here in SA, but intend moving over to the USA permanently within the next year or two. I’m so glad, with the way things are going here, that we haven’t still ‘got all our eggs in one basket’. I think you have to go with your gut feeling and when the time is right, just do it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

9. Three years ago my husband and I opted for early retirement and moved to Ometepe Island, Nicaragua with our tiny teaching pensions. People often try to categorize us as…ex-patriots, political or economic refugees, escapees…etc. Honestly, we don’t fit into any of those categories. We moved basically because we were ready for something new and different. We didn’t ( and still don’t) have unlimited financial resources. We own our house in the states, so technically we’re not ex-patriots. We just wanted a home base in a foreign, tropical place and a home base in the states. Simply, we wanted our cake and wanted to eat it, too. I’m not the kind of person to burn any bridges. Although we are happy and comfortable living abroad, there may come a time when we are forced to return to the states permanently. It could be because the volcano in our backyard erupts, or serious health problems occur ( although we receive excellent health services here at a fraction of the cost in the states), or some unforeseen reason. So, in the meantime, we visit the states several times a year, and count our blessings because we have been given a gift of living with eyes without borders. It is possible to have the best of all worlds with limited financial assets. All you have to do is jump.

10. I could and I am – living in another country! and I have soooooo much fun! although I miss my friends and family a lot but I hope that Mexico will be exotic enough a destination that they’ll come and visit more often! 😉

11. tobyo says:

Absolutely! that IS our plan! we have our heart set on Malaga in southern Spain. I count the days until we can leave. I think alot about “what we’ll leave behind” but for some reason Spain calls to me. we hope to leave in about 7 years. lots of time for research and planning 🙂

Since you've come this far... I'd love to hear your thoughts or comments!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s