My Dad always quoted the old proverb, “If a thing is worth doing, it’s worth doing well.” So that’s my excuse. I’ve received a few very nice specialized award nominations recently, and have been taking my sweet time to finish this acceptance post with the right nominations.
What makes these awards so interesting is that they focus on certain aspects of blogging. For example, Canoe Communications has shared the Adventurous Blogger Award for travelers. I really appreciate this – I don’t normally think of myself as adventurous, just a curious and avid visitor. Catherine at Mezzaphonically Speaking offered the Super Sweet Blogging Award, which I think has at least something to do with food, so I take this as a reminder that I should share more about our recent diet success and favorite recipes! And Eleenie at Denobears sent along the Reader Appreciation Award. This one could be taken two ways – that readers appreciate the blog content (one always hopes), or that the nominee is a faithful and appreciative reader (I like that idea even better). I have tried to select nominees who qualify both ways for this one.
My heartfelt thanks to the kind bloggers above who included me in their nominations – please take a little time to see what they’ve been up to, and why they themselves were nominated! Here are the requirements for accepting these awards:
1) Thank the blogger who nominated you and share a link to that blog – Done!
2) Attach the award icon to your site – Done!
3) Answer some specific questions. Unlike many awards which just ask for some random things about you, these ask specific questions, related to each award, as follows (with my responses):
a) The Adventurous Blogger Award asks:
- In which country or region would you like your next adventure to be? We’d love to travel to Central/South America, The Alaskan Coast, or somewhere in the Mediterranean. (Clearly we lack focus.)
- Where would you recommend for an adventurous time? Honestly, adventure is where you look for it, but Hawaii has a lot to offer – coral reefs, waterfalls and rainforests, volcanoes, and more. Most of our US National Parks offer wonderful adventures.
- Most interesting culture: This depends on where you start out, I think. I was fascinated with how the Japanese culture evolved in the 20th century, without losing its identity in the world. Many places we’ve been are in a state of change – China, Romania, Greece – all with incredible histories but currently changing dynamics!
- Favorite activity: I love learning the history of new places. Often when we travel, we start with research, and maybe a quick initial tour to help us learn a little – then we choose the spots we really want to spend more time.
- Favorite quotation: This is a tough one… I have several – serious and funny. My humorous favorite right now is “It’s never to late to have a happy childhood!” (This has been attributed to Tom Robbins, Bruce Williamson, Wayne Dyer and others.)
b) The Super Sweet Blogging Award asks:
- Cookie or cake? Cake (no frosting necessary)
- Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate
- What is your favorite sweet treat? My Nana’s Scottish Shortbread
- When do you crave sweet things the most? Bedtime
- If you had a sweet nickname, what would it be? Well, my Aunt called me Jelly Bean when I was little… it rhymes with my middle name!
c) The Reader Appreciation Award asks:
- Your favourite colour? Deep Blue
- Your favourite animal? Love the elegance and independence of cats, and the companionship of dogs
- Your favourite non-alcoholic drink? Tomato Juice
- Facebook or Twitter? Facebook (family connections)
- Your favourite pattern? Maybe the Black Watch Tartan (plaid)
- Do you prefer getting or giving presents? Giving – I love the challenge of finding the right thing.
- Your favourite number? Never thought about it – how about 7…
- Your favourite day of the week? Saturday – all day with my hubby!
- Your favourite flower? Violets and Pansies – they seem to have faces
- What is your passion? My family. They fill my thoughts (and many days), got me started on enjoying photography, inspired me to learn about genealogy, and make life in general worth living!
4) And finally, offer “pay it forward” nominations, advising those bloggers that they’ve been nominated and how to accept. I’ve listed the mandated number of nominees for each award below. This is the best reason to accept blogging awards – to spread the word about other blogs that we enjoy!
Adventurous Blogger Award Nominees (12):
- http://deetoursbydeepali.wordpress.com/about/ Travel, photos, musings
- http://nprimopiano.wordpress.com/about/ photos and more
- http://divine-lunacy.com/about/ photos and other creative stuff
- http://ensummerfield84.wordpress.com/about/ photos of Japan
- http://natureontheedge.com/about/ focus on wildlife/southern Africa
- http://godcolors.wordpress.com/about/ nature, travels, missionary work
- http://cjvl.wordpress.com/about/ fun reflections and photos
- http://lifesjourneyblog.com/about/ philosophical reflections, photos
- http://the-travelbunny.com/about/ travel, photos, and more
- http://lagottocattleya.wordpress.com/about-me/ great photos, love of travel
- http://ronmayhewphotography.com/ wonderful travel, nature, other photos
- http://pommepal.wordpress.com/about/ photos, wanderings, Australia
Super Sweet Blogging Award Nominees (A baker’s dozen – 13!):
- http://crunchyparenting.com/about-me/ parenting, families, food, etc.
- http://gertrygiggles.wordpress.com/about/ travel photos, humorous musings
- http://janetsnotebook.com/about/ variety of post topics, great writing
- http://atasteofmorning.com/about/ homey recipes and country inn photos
- http://bebs1.wordpress.com/about/ recipes, photos and more
- http://fitnwellmommy.wordpress.com/about/ food, fitness, family
- http://eastasiablog.wordpress.com/ all things East Asia, including food links
- http://theeverbuddingbear.wordpress.com/about/ food, gardening, photos
- http://zhongguojumble.wordpress.com/about/ all things Chinese – including food
- http://autumninbruges.wordpress.com/about-me/ travel, photos, and food
- http://campanulladellaanna.wordpress.com/about/ photos, travel, food
- http://rainbowbakery.wordpress.com/about/ photos, travel, food
- http://carriefehr.com/about/ great recipes from fresh seasonal foods
Reader Appreciation Award Nominees (10-12):
- http://max510.com/ travel, photos, videos, whimsy
- http://visitstothepark.wordpress.com/about/ great eye for photo ops
- http://danajoward.wordpress.com/ lovely photos and outlook
- http://pigletinportugal.com/ everything about Portugal!
- http://seraphim6.me/about-me/ eclectic, upbeat blog
- http://mywordwall.wordpress.com/about/ writing, photos, and more
- http://eof737.wordpress.com/about/ photos, writing, positivity
- http://beeblu.wordpress.com/ writing, travel, photos
- http://sued51too.wordpress.com/about/ writing, photos and more
- http://ayearinmyshoes.wordpress.com/about/ photos, travel and writing
I hope, whether or not these folks opt to accept, that you will choose to visit some or all of them, and perhaps find some new favorites of your own!
Enjoy! And thanks for reading all the way to the bottom!
Your proverb made me think of G.K. Chesterton’s “Anything worth doing, is worth doing badly.” And off hand it sounds trite, but if you think about it, it makes sense.
TRS, my long delayed response to your award…thanking you for a great year…http://wp.me/p1RzUf-1R8 …You made my 2012 wonderful. I am grateful. ❤
Thanks, Sunshine! Glad I could be part of your happy blogosphere! 😉
Pingback: Group Hug | Simply Charming
Pingback: Reader Appreciation Award — Better Late than Never! « Last Train to QVille
Thank you so much for your nomination of my blog, I really appreciate it! http://rainbowbakery.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/gratitude/
My pleasure 😉
Pingback: Blogging Award Nominations, … You Can Get It! | Campanulla Della Anna
Ah, the culture of Japan…so fascinating. Love your choice of favourite pattern – it’s quite unique. Thanks for the Reader Appreciation Award, TRS.
Pingback: Thanks « beeblu blog
Pingback: A LOT OF THANKS « mywordwall
Thousand thanks my friend @TRS, wow! 😀 very encouraging accept this nomination. I received two nominations from you ;
> First, Beautiful blogger award
and the second Super Sweet blogger award
Was an honor for me, I hope in the near future be able to continue this nomination to another blogger friend. I will include a link from you as a reference
You’re so great 😀 Thank you very much, regards
It’s my pleasure – I always enjoy your posts – and you are generous with your encouragement of other bloggers – you deserve a little recognition! 😉
Pingback: Reader Appreciation Award « Sex, Spirit, Soul Mates and Chocolate….Ivonne's Journey
Pingback: Weekend Recap and Super Sweet Blogging Award « Fit 'N' Well Mommy
Congratulations, TRS! Love your blog!
Congratulations on all your awards! And, I´m most honoured that you have included me, a total newcomer, in your list! I really don´t know how to thank you! I so much want to accept, but I really do not know if I can manage it. My students and my work asks a lot of me…Is there a deadline? Or could I try within some weeks to do my duty and follow all the rules? Thank you again for nominating me!
Take your time – the point, for me, is to expand our circle of “friends” – I start a post like this and add nominees a few at a time over weeks, so it doesn’t feel like it’s using as much time. There is no deadline, so relax and enjoy picking nominees (the hard part)!
Pingback: Catching up on… Awards!! | Eat, travel, photograph
Thank you very much for this award, RT. I appreciate your gesture a lot. I will try to come up with a blog post in the next few days and check the other blogs too. 🙂
Congrats for all the awards! And thanks for nominating me for one of them, am honoured to accept it! Will post about it shortly! Thank you again 🙂
Thanks for the congrats.. and you are very welcome! 😉
Congratulations on all your awards.
BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!
Many thanks, Francine!
Congrats and thank you for nominating my blog! I look forward to checking everyone’s blogs out!
Thanks and you’re welcome… hope you enjoy the other blogs! 😉
Congratulations and thank you!
Thanks – and you’re welcome, Livvy! 🙂
Thank you for nominating me ! And congratulations for all your awards 🙂
I’ll take my time for my nomination list.
You’re very welcome – have fun picking nominees!! 😉
Thank you so much for my Adventurous Blogger nomination which I am delighted to accept. Looking forward to checking out the other blogs mentioned and catching up with your own. Love the nickname!
You’re very welcome, and I’m so glad you’ll be checking out the others!
Thanks for the kind comment! 😉
Congrats for all those awards. You’re so worth it. Thanks for nominating me as an Adventurous Blogger. I feel honored and would love to accept it. I love awards not only because they make me feel appreciated but also for the opportunity they give to reach out and network. So I’ll be checking out the nominees in your lists and soon be creating my own 🙂 Thanks again!
Thanks – that’s the spirit! I’ll look forward to seeing your nominees! 😉
Thank you for the nomination! I post a little of everything, including food but not too much on sweets :-). It will take some time, but I will try to check them out. Cheers!
Most of these blogs don’t spend a lot of time on sweets, but the posts are sweet just the same!! 😉
Thank you once again, Retiring Sort and congratulations on all your awards. Wow, lots of work here…applause on your acceptance post. Wow!
I loved how you posted a few words about each blog’s main theme…another Wow!
~Peace and light… 😉
You’re very welcome – I do my acceptance posts a little at a time, pasting in the address and a quick line as I decide to add a nominee. That’s why they take so long to do, but I hope you’ll find some new and interesting friends in the list! That’s what makes this fun! 😉
Yes, it is very time consuming but fun at the same time. Thanks again. 😉
Well done on the awards
Thanks for stopping by my site
My sister used to have (still does sometimes) the nickname Jelly Bean, Also, Nelly Bean or Beanie. No idea why. Doesn’t rhyme with anything. There again, I gave her the nickname Kit, and her name is Kathryn lol
I like the Black Watch tartan as my granddad used to be in the watch in WWII. I prefer my own tartan myself 🙂
It’s never too late to have a happy childhood ….that is brilliant 😀
Glad you enjoyed the fun facts! My grandfather was a Lamont, my grandmother’s families were Porters and McCluneys… but still I love the colors in the Black Watch dress tartan…
Thanks so much for your lovely comments! 😉
Wow how I appreciate the nomination… I’m truly honoured that you thought my blog worthy of one… I thank you, but sadly decline the award for the following reason… I don’t know how to do the ping backs, add the awards to my site and all the other things… I love that I get nominated but decided when the first was passed my way that I would always decline and now I wish I had oersued the learning needed to accept them… Thank you again and I love your blog…
You’re welcome – Lots of people decline awards – for all kinds of reasons. I still hope you will try visiting some of the other nominated blogs. And if you ever decide to try one of the techniques you mentioned, you might start at http://en.support.wordpress.com/ – scroll down and try topics like links, media, and widgets… they’re very helpful!
A lot that you have nominated I already follow and yes I will look at every one that you have nominated… I follow too many bloggers as it is… but it has become an obsession… and I so enjoy the interaction with others all over the world… Thanks again
Thank you so much for nominating my blog! And what a thoughtful list you have compiled. I will certainly check it out! Thanks!!
You’re so welcome – I hope you make some new friends and gain some new followers! 😉
Congratulations on all your awards and thank you for including my blog on your list! I’m glad I came back to check as I thought I had said TY! 🙂 Much appreciated. 🙂
You’re so welcome. I always appreciate your thoughtful comments, as well as your posts!! 😉
Wow, that’s too sweet of you even though I am very new at WordPress. I started my blog in 2008 but abandoned it until Multiply announced that they will no longer have social networking anymore and I found myself back in my old blog. I am not big on sweets because I am diabetic but I love to cook whenever I can. Thank you for the nomination and I will try to visit everyone mentioned.
Welcome back to WordPress – I hope this will help get your following rolling! I think any kind of food is fun to post about… although I’m trying to eat healthier, and am so sorry to hear about your diabetes.
Enjoy getting to know some new friends! 😉
wow, this post represents a lot of work! although i am well, i still get fatigued easily, so i am greatly impressed with how many blogs and addresses you organized and shared with us! i don’t think i could tackle that task right now!
thanks for recommendations, jelly bean! i look forward to visiting them soon! (lights out for me for the night!)
I hope you continue to mend quickly! I also hope you’ll find a few new friends 😉
Your acceptance(s) was/were so thoughtful and nicely done — I appreciate the lists of blogs of interest, and look forward to exploring them as I have time! ~ Kat
Thanks, Kat – hope you find a few to enjoy! 😉
Nice! This is a great way to get to know other bloggers. I’m always on the lookout to follow those with similar sensibilities.
Me too – hope you’ll enjoy some of these!